Microsoft has done a great job releasing Windows 11 with a new design language and a myriad of amazing new features. However, some inherent Windows issues still exist in Windows 11. For example, we recently wrote a tutorial on how to fix the ‘Undo changes made to your computer’ error on Windows 11 because updates were not installing. And now, we are seeing that users are getting a black screen after updating to Windows 11. Some users report that the black screen on Windows 11 appears with the cursor after login, and in some cases, before login. So to fix the problem that persists, we have compiled 9 solutions that will fix Windows 11 black screen issue after update. On that note, let’s move on to the guide.
Noticing Black Screen After Updating to Windows 11? fix here (2022)
In this tutorial, we have covered 9 different ways to fix black screen issue that may arise after a recent Windows 11 update. We have also added solutions if you are getting a black screen with cursor on Windows 11 after or before login. Expand the table below and see the desired solution.
1. Restart your PC
If Windows 11 is showing black screen after update or after login, don’t worry. Sometimes, after heavy feature updates, Windows takes time to load all the system components. In that case, you should restart your Windows 11 PC and wait at least half an hour Before going for any fix. If you are still facing the black screen issue even after restarting, then move on to the next step.
2. Restart Windows Explorer
This solution is especially helpful for users who get black screen with cursor on Windows 11 after login. It means your PC is working fine, just because of some explorer or graphics issue, Windows 11 is unable to show you desktop shell. Here’s what to do in such a scenario.
1. Press the Windows 11 Keyboard Shortcut”Ctrl + Alt + Delete“To open the Advanced Menu screen. Here, click on “Task Manager”.
2. Now, click on “File” and select “Select”run new task,
3. Next, type
explorer.exe in the textbox and press Enter. This will reload the Explorer shell, and the black screen will be gone. If it doesn’t work as intended, move on to the next method.
3. Restart the Graphics Driver
Windows 11 has a hidden keyboard shortcut that lets you restart the graphics driver without any settings. If your PC is facing any graphics driver related issues, this will fix black screen on Windows 11 immediately.
1. Just “Press”Windows + Ctrl + Shift + Bkey together and the Windows 11 graphics driver will restart. Give your PC a minute, and the black screen on your Windows 11 PC should be gone.
4. Edit Explorer Shell Registry
Windows 11 usually shows a black screen if the Explorer shell in the registry has been modified. To undo these changes, follow the steps below. This will load the Explorer shell correctly and fix the black screen problem on your PC.
1. For users who get black screen with cursor after logging in to Windows 11, press “Ctrl + Alt + Delete“and open “Task Manager”.
2. Click “File” on the top menu bar and select “Open”run new task,
3. Here, type
regedit in the textbox and enable the checkbox “Make this task with administrative privileges”. Now, press enter.
4. Now Registry Editor will open. Here, follow this path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows NT -> CurrentVersion -> winlogon,
5. On the right pane, you will find “oyster“. Double-click to open it and make sure
explorer.exe Present under “Value data”. If it is not there, change the text and click “OK”.
6. Now, restart your pcAnd the black screen problem on Windows 11 will be fixed.
5. Startup Repair
Some users get a black screen even before the login screen on Windows 11. This means that Windows is not loading properly, and there may be some internal system problems. In such cases, you cannot access Task Manager or restart Explorer. That’s why you need to kickstart Windows 11’s troubleshooter to fix the problem. Here’s how to go about it.
1. Firstly, turn off your PC. Now, turn it on, and turn it off again as soon as the Windows loading sign appears. Now, turn on your PC and turn it off again. Do this 2-3 times, and Windows will be forced to load its recovery screen, On some computers, pressing F2, F8, or F12 during boot also opens the startup recovery screen, so try these keys as well.
2. Once you are on the recovery screen, click on “advanced options,
3. After that, “Open”troubleshoot problems,
4. Open “Advanced Options” again and then click on “”startup Repair,
5. Now your PC will restart, and Windows will try to fix the black screen problem on its own. If that doesn’t work, move on to the next method.
6. Boot in Safe Mode
If the above method does not work, and you are still getting a black screen before you can login to your Windows 11 PC, then booting in Safe Mode may fix the problem. Here are the steps to follow:
1. First, boot into Safe Mode on Windows 11 by following our linked guide. From the “Recovery” screen, you need to follow this path: Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> Startup Settings -> Restart.
2. Here, “Press”4” or ” F4 ” key to start Windows 11 in Safe Mode.
3. Once you are in safe mode, I suggest you just restart the pc, Sometimes, simply booting into Safe Mode fixes the black screen problem on Windows 11. Check if you are able to log in to your computer and if everything is fine. If not, go to the next step.
4. Boot Back in Safe Mode and Uninstall Suspicious Programs on Windows 11. sometimes, some malicious program Prevent Windows 11 from loading its components properly, so remove those pesky apps you have no idea about.
5. I also recommend you to open Windows Settings by pressing “Windows + I”. Here, go to System -> Display -> Advanced Display. Here, Change the refresh rate to 60Hz or 30Hz, depending on the specs of your monitor. Now, restart your PC, and that might solve the black screen issue.
6. Lastly, if you are still facing the black screen problem, boot back to the Safe Mode screen and press “5” or “F5” KEY To boot into Safe Mode with Internet Options. You will need a wired Ethernet connection to access the Internet in Safe Mode. If you don’t have Ethernet, connect your smartphone via a USB cable and use USB tethering.
7. Now that you have internet connectivity in Safe Mode, open Device Manager and update graphics driver, You can follow our guide on how to update drivers on Windows 11 for in-depth instructions.
8. Once the graphics driver is updated, restart your pcAnd this time, you should not face any black screen error.
7. Uninstall Last Update
If Windows 11 is showing a black screen after a recent update, then probably, it has to do with the latest update that may have broken some system components. In that case, it is best to uninstall the last update. Follow the steps given below for detailed instructions.
1. To uninstall the last update on Windows 11, we need force open recovery menu Just like we did in Method #5 above. Restart your PC and shut it down when the Windows logo appears. Repeat this process 2-3 times, and the recovery screen will appear.
2. Here, Advanced Options -> Troubleshooting -> Advanced Options -> . click on uninstall update,
3. You will get two options: Quality Update and Feature Update. Quality updates are regular and smaller in size, while feature updates are larger and occur twice a year. If you are not sure which update it was, click onUninstall Latest Quality Updates“And see if this fixes the black screen problem.
4. If that doesn’t work, click onUninstall the latest feature update“And wait for a good hour. After the process is complete, your PC will restart. Now, check if the black screen issue is resolved or not.
8. System Restore
If you find that you are experiencing a black screen after installing an unknown program or making major changes, you can go back to a working state via System Restore. Note that this will also undo all the changes you have made on your PC, including changes to files and folders. Basically, you’re going back in time with System Restore. Here’s how to go about it.
1. Open the recovery menu on Windows 11 by forcefully shutting down and restarting your PC. Once you are on the recovery menu, open Advanced Options -> Troubleshooting -> Advanced Options -> system Restore,
2. Follow the on-screen instructions and choose restore point, Your computer will now restart, and the black screen problem should be fixed. Note, this process will take a long time, so be patient.
9. Reset PC
Lastly, if none of the above methods work in resolving the black screen issue, then you will need to reset your Windows 11 PC to get back to a functional state. This will factory reset your Windows 11 PC and definitely fix the black screen problem. Don’t worry, because not all your files and folders from other drives will be deleted except data in c drive (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, and more). However, all your installed programs will be removed.
1. On the recovery screen, Advanced Options -> Troubleshooting -> . click on reset this pc,
2. After that, “Select”keep my fileNow, it will reinstall Windows 11 on your PC, and the black screen problem will be gone.
Black Screen on Windows 11 After or Before Login? find solution here
So these are the best methods that you can use to fix black screen on Windows 11. Whether you are getting black screen before or after login, we have suitable solutions for your problem. Anyway, that’s all from us. If you want to learn how to enable Secure Boot on Windows 11 or just want to update to Windows 11, follow our linked articles. Lastly, if you have any questions, do let us know in the comments section below.