Call them hacks, cheat codes, or plain smart work, these tips and tricks to holistic health are sure to help you! Read on for excerpts from Integrative Nutritionist, Gut Health Coach and Founder of GutAvatar and INUEN, Payal Kothari’s debut book, The GUT.
1. Your ‘six best doctors’ are freely available: sunshine, air, water, nutrition, sleep, and exercise.
2. Stack up ‘wins’ by listening to your ‘gut feelings’.
3. Eat slow-releasing carbs such as millet flour.
4. Whatever you are thinking about, multiplies in your life. So, think positive!
5. A daily probiotic supplement can help restore equilibrium in your gut and strengthen your immunity. It must have the two bacteria lactobacillus and bifidobacterium, and a few other strains are welcome too.
6. There is no fad diet that will ever be able to do what eating right can do, ditch the fad diet today!
7. Pin up the ‘body’ picture you would like to achieve for yourself on your bathroom mirror, at eye level. Your subconscious will help manifest the goal.
8. Install new software into your brain every morning! It’s called ‘reading’; read good books on health, inspiration and self-care.
9. For pain-free, cheap and cheerful plump lips and skin, eat three plant-based sources of vitamin E daily: kiwi, pumpkin seeds and olives.
10. For vegans, some excellent sources of calcium are bananas, kidney beans, almonds, tofu, sesame seeds, broccoli, turnips, okra and white beans.
11. Add chia seeds to everything—shakes, salads, water and yogurt—for an added protein, fat and fibre boost.
12. Indian kids have been winning the ‘spelling bee’ for the last 14 years! Eat Indian superfoods—turmeric and coconut—to boost your cognitive fitness.
13. Keep clean foods close to you, nibble when you feel you are getting ‘hangry’ (angry when hungry). These can be nuts, seeds, fruits, yogurt, water, rice crackers and chana (horse gram).
14. Raise your natural ‘DOSE’ by delivering more for people than you promise. Let karma always be in your favour!
15. Walk away from anything or anyone who takes away from your joy. Your time is far too precious to put up with negative energy.
16. For better chemistry, hygiene is most important, so release toxins in a Zumba session and get those hormones flowing.
17. Use your creativity and resources to build an awesome life on a vision board. Do visualisation as a family activity.
18. Forgive instantly, make it second nature, because you deserve peace.
19. Sleep, unplug your mind, body and soul. Most importantly, follow your circadian rhythm.
20. Take your beetroot, celery and wheatgrass shots daily and be productive and focused.
21. Have coconut water, ginger, spinach, fruits and slow-releasing carbohydrates daily, dream about your goals at night, and allow superfoods and fluids to help you achieve them in the day.
22. Be romantic, passionate, sexy and have regular safe sex with your partner.
23. Medium chain triglycerides from virgin cold-pressed coconut oil can help heal your inflamed gut lining at jet speed.
24. Old ways don’t open new doors. Get out of your comfort zone and do something different.
25. The best way to keep depression away is to do 10 Surya Namaskars, facing the sun, as soon as you wake up.
26. Talk to your friends about your issues and if you can’t, seek counselling.
27. Stop Eating CRAP (C – Carbonated drinks, R – Refined sugars, A – Artificial foods, P – Processed foods).
28. If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong company. To go from good to best at leopard speed, be with people smarter than you.
29. Do you drive to the gym to walk on a treadmill? Stop wasting your time and money.
30. Use this DIY coconut scrub for brighter skin! Ingredients: 2 cups coconut oil, 1 cup Epsom salts, five to seven drops of fresh rose water. Scrub on your face and neck for two to three minutes and wash off.
31. Your stomach lining can be healed in just two days if you don’t eat chilli, fried foods or sugar.
32. It is okay to feel low, anxious and depressed. Go for a walk, talk to a friend or get professional help.
33. Don’t just eat less, eat frequently and eat home-cooked meals. Cook with non-toxic material such as cast iron and stainless steel/metal and in ceramic utensils.
34. Bioactive compounds such as beta-carotene in chilli peppers (red, yellow and green) boost your immunity. Use them in your daily foods as weapons against bad bacteria.
35. Your primary and secondary foods should be balanced. Choose well!
36. 80 per cent of your immune system is in your digestive system; think of the gut as your ‘wall’ and eat anti-inflammatory super herbs such as ginger, curcumin, and spirulina daily.
37. Boost your energy daily, recharge your body’s energy house, mitochondria, in your cells, with Pranayama every morning.
38. If your brain has too many tabs open in the form of to-do lists, you will need a recharge every three to four hours. Instead of sugary sodas, opt for fruit smoothie shots or plain flavoured yoghurts to complete the list.
39. Did you know that your gut is as heavy as your brain? One more reason to listen to your gut feelings!
40. Keep those bugs multiplying with a rainbow variety of natural foods; they determine your health—physical, emotional and mental.
41. Feeling tense? Divert your attention to making a bowl of indulgence. In a small bowl, arrange some roasted pumpkin, beetroot, baby spinach, onions, thyme, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper, and drizzle mint and yoghurt chutney.
42. To reduce bloating and overall body fat in just a week, reduce the amount of animal fat in your diet.
43. Drink plenty of detox water!
44. Meditation is a free tool, make use of it.
45. While bathing, use an active charcoal scrub to remove dead skin and activate your lymphatic nodes, which is your body’s drainage system.
46. It’s okay to fail. It’s okay to cry.
47. We were the great apes! Mirroring is a way to learn the smartest and the fastest.
48. Be desperate to get healthy, the world will feel like a better place to live in.
49. Save planet Earth. Minimise the use of plastic, paper and water.
50. Carry your own recycled cloth bags, steel water bottles, glass jars and containers to refill your supplies.